Stuff to click on

Tuesday, November 27

Cheese

Cheese
1. the curd of milk separated from the whey and prepared in many ways as a food.
2. a definite mass of this substance, often in the shape of a wheel or cylinder.


Doesn't quite grab you does it? What is it about cheese... creamy, hard, string, or crumbly... that makes everything better? Vegetables, crackers, pizza, sandwiches, salads, pasta, and plain for snacking. Cheese is good.

The Artisan Cheese plate at Zydeco is one of my favorite restaurant appetizers.

While the rest of the meal was forgettable, the cheesy "poof" served atop my beet salad at Ariana was delicate and tasty.

A wedge of brie or other soft cheese served with crackers or bread makes such a nice snack when visitors stop by.

My new favorite variety? I dug a wedge of "Holland Parrano" out of the deli case at Fred Meyer for Thanksgiving this year. We had never tried it before, and it was a hit. It was soooo yummy. Dry but with a nice full flavor.

Hmmm, describing cheese is like describing wine. Coincidence that they go together so well?

Sadly, I must put my love affair with cheese on hold. Right before Thanksgiving I went in for my annual checkup. This year that included going in and getting my blood drawn to test for fun things like thyroid & metabolic problems, as well as...

Cholesterol

Everything else seems to be fine. But I had to schedule another appointment when the cholesterol levels were found to be extremely high. We are talking total cholesterol in the 300's folks. If my LDL's were a bowling score I would be good to go.

I know one of the recommendations will be to cut down on the cheese. There will be other things to keep an eye on, but I will miss cheese the most.

Holland Parrano, I hardly knew you...

5 comments:

Little Things said...

Oh waah. That stinks.

Do you think cajun tater tots are also verboten?

Sigh.

Shannon said...

Well, that just sucks. Kinda how I can't eat sushi, drink martinis or eat certain cheeses until June! I feel your pain!

Deby said...

Oh man! My heart breaks for you. I am a cheese lover to the extreme. It is one of the little pleasures left after finding out I was allergic to rice (yes you read that correctly), garlic (didn't know it was possible) and peanuts (oh how I miss PB&J sandwiches and Reeses cups).

Hopefully your cholesterol will come into check soon and you can return to your cheese plate.

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. God. I am so sorry to hear your HDL bad news. I've tried Rice Milk cheese, it is really bad, so don't bother. I will say that after you stop eating cheese for two months, try the tofu cream cheese. If you forget what real cheese tastes like, it's not too bad. And there's always low-fat Mozzerella...

Anonymous said...

That is just awful. Terrible. Horrible. I am really sorry. Cheese, after diet coke, is pretty much my life.

Diet Coke