Stuff to click on

Thursday, April 5

Donor

Via Elise...

Are you an organ donor?

Are you sure that you are an organ donor?

Like many people I have a D on my driver's license, indicating that at my death I would like to be an organ donor. BUT, this only indicates your intent. Legally, that isn't enough for any donation to take place. A family member or legal representative has to sign off first.

This can cause problems. For example when my dad passed away some time passed before my mom arrived at the hospital. By the time all of the information was processed and she signed off, only his eyes could be used.

But even that was lucky. Often people die without sharing their wish to be a donor with their family, so nothing is donated.

Now, I understand that this option is not for everyone. And if you don't want to be a donor... that's OK. But it's important that if you do want to be a donor, you do two things:
  1. Tell your family
  2. Register on the Donate Life NW website (if you are an Oregon or Washington resident)
According to the Donate Life website:
This registration will serve as a document of gift as outlined in Section 2. Oregon Revised Statutes 97.952(2)(b). A document of gift, not revoked by the donor before death, is irreversible and does not require the consent of any other person. It also authorizes any examination necessary to ensure the medical acceptability of the anatomical gift.
Folks, this means they don't have to wait for your mom, your spouse, or whomever to appear and approve. This is a legal document indicating your consent for the donation. How cool is that?

I already signed up. If you are (or think you are) an organ donor... I hope you will too.

Thanks to Elise for passing the word along!

1 comment:

Just a cuppa lovers. said...

Very cool! I did not know about this site. I have my DL marked, I carry a donor card, and both "He" and my dad know my wishes but I'm all for making it even more known. Thanks for the heads up!