Stuff to click on

Thursday, November 8

Soup

Fall is turning to winter. It's getting dark early. Evenings are cold and mornings are colder. It's... soup weather! I thawed some stew meat yesterday, but didn't have time to cook stew. So I tried this instead. It was inspired by this recipe but I changed it to match what was in my pantry.

It was just me and the boys last night; everyone loved it. I will probably add more stew meat next time. The broth is soooo delicious and slightly rich. If you are serving more than four hungry people or want leftovers you will definitely want to double the recipe below.



Jen's Winter Soup
1 stick of butter
1 lb beef stew meat, cut into cubes
1/2 med. size chopped onion
1 clove garlic, pressed or diced
1 can tomato sauce
1 can stewed, peeled, diced tomatoes (including juices)
1 can chicken broth
1 t Worcestershire sauce
2 t paprika
1 t sea salt
1 t ground black pepper
1 T oregano
5-6 small potatoes, cut into chunks
2 small carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4" thick

Melt butter in heavy pan over medium-high heat. Add meat, onion, and garlic. Cook until meat is browned on each side. Add the tomato sauce, tomatoes (including juices), chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, salt, pepper and oregano. Cover and simmer over medium heat.

Meanwhile, prepare the potatoes. Cut potatoes into chunks. Cook in microwave, tightly covered, with 1/2 c water for 6 minutes. Drain.

Once the soup has simmered for about 45 minutes add potatoes (I used Yukon Gold variety) and carrots. Cover and simmer for additional 15 minutes.

Serve with your favorite crusty bread - the broth is perfect for dipping!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG yum! I'm making this immediately!

Elise Michaels Media said...

YUM! I especially like the WHOLE STICK of butter. Silly me, I would've used olive oil and I'm sure it would not have been anywhere near as yummy and rich. Thanks for the recipe, Jen!