Stuff to click on

Friday, November 23

Squash

I like squash. Butternut, Gold Nugget, Spaghetti... it's all good. Some times the kids go for it, and some times they don't. I always make it clear when I make squash - I know it's not for everyone, and no one is required to try it unless they want to. So for part of our Thanksgiving feast I made a squash dish... which no one else ate.

Good! More leftovers for me!

And as far as I was concerned, it was an excellent squash dish. Stinky tried some today and liked it, so now I have to share the rest. I found it on the Food Network website a couple of weeks ago, as I was browsing for recipes. It is delicious... if you like squash!



Baked Squash Gratin
1 bag cubed butternut squash (from Costco)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1/4 cup basil pesto
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, plus more for greasing

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Lightly butter an 8-inch baking dish and set aside. Fill a large pot with enough water to come 2 inches up the sides of the pot. Set a steamer rack in the pot, cover, and bring the water to a boil over high heat. Add the squash and steam over medium heat until the squash is very tender, about 20 minutes. Transfer the squash to a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Season the squash to taste with salt and pepper.

Spoon half of the squash evenly over the prepared baking dish. Spread half of the pesto all over the squash in the dish. Sprinkle half of the cheese over the squash. Repeat layering with the remaining squash, pesto, and cheese. Dot the top with butter and bake until the gratin is heated through and golden brown around the edges, about 40 minutes.

No comments: