Stuff to click on

Sunday, February 17

Italian-style Roast Beast

I like Costco. A lot. Even on days when there aren't sample ladies (and sometimes gentlemen) around to keep my kids fed. I am happy to kick them a couple of bucks for a smoothie or another cheap treat from the snack bar while we wait in line. And you always have to wait in line at Costco, it's one of the rules. (Another most important rule: stay out of the middle. Period.)

But the other thing I like about Costco is that it keeps my freezer full. A full freezer is a happy freezer. And it means fewer trips to the grocery store. This time of year (the cold time) I try to keep lots of options around for Crock Pot meals. And since today is "Challenge Sunday" I thought I would share tonight's recipe and meal.



Italian-style Roast Beast

Ingredients
beef chuck roast, thawed
olive oil
potatoes
carrots
tomato sauce
pepper
sea salt
basil
oregano
rosemary

Other vegetables you can add include onions, peppers, eggplant, zucchini and mushrooms. Be creative and use what is fresh and locally available whenever possible.

Wash potatoes and chop them into chunks. Add potatoes and carrots (I used baby carrots) to the bottom of the pot.

Rinse meat with cold water and pat dry. Trim fat from roast. (You don't have to get every bit, but most roasts have a thick layer on one side that is easy to remove.) Sprinkle with salt and pepper and rub into meat.

Add about 2 T olive oil to pan. Sear roast over medium heat, about 2 minutes per side.

Place seared roast in Crock Pot. Pour one can of tomato sauce over meat and vegies. Sprinkle with desired amounts of herbs and additional salt & pepper.

Cook on Low for 8-10 hours or High for 4-6 hours.

Dinner is servedThe Skinny

Yummy! Our roast was rather small so it probably didn't need the full 8 hours, but it was only slightly dry. I served it with the "gravy" that formed from the tomato sauce and drippings which added some moisture. I suggest serving this with a salad and some crusty bread.

All of the photos can be seen here.

1 comment:

Elise Michaels Media said...

Yummy! I haven't made a roast lately, so thanks for the reminder! I can almost taste those roast beef sandwiches now - a little horseradish, a little mayo...