Stuff to click on

Sunday, June 14

CSA Week 2

Got a slow start on cooking my way through week 2 of my produce box from Groundwork Organics. But that doesn't mean that we had a slow start eating!

Here's what I picked up on Wednesday:
CSA Week 2


We got Italian parsley, kale, carrots, beets, potatoes, zucchini, shelling peas, salad mix, broccoli, and strawberries.

...The carrots were munched and crunched away by my hungry kids.

...I ate the strawberries that afternoon at work.

...My co-worker got the broccoli, since I'm violently opposed to the stuff. (Please don't tell me to smother it with cheese. That would be a waste of perfectly good cheese!)

...I'm going to make these brownies with the beets. Then I'm going to give one to my co-worker's husband, since he's violently opposed to beets. Shhh...

...Giada says I should make this with the kale. But the "Cooking Away My CSA" gang says I should make kale chips. I haven't decided yet...

...Tonight I made a great pasta dish that included the zucchini, peas, and potatoes. Everyone loved it, including the picky teenager.
Pasta with fresh veggies Pasta with fresh veggies Pasta with fresh veggies
The thing is, when I cook something like this I tend to go with my gut. I know what makes a decent pasta dish so I work with what I have instead of a recipe, and I cook by taste and don't measure ingredients. But the problem is when it goes well... I don't have a recipe to work from in the future (or share with y'all). So here's my best guess at how I made dinner tonight...

Pasta with chicken and fresh veggies
olive oil
1 small onion, sliced*
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt 'n' pepper
garlic
crushed red pepper
chopped basil*
oregano
5 Yukon Gold potatoes*
small handful chopped parsley*
1 cup fresh peas*
1 cup sliced zucchini*
1/2 cup milk
1 cup chicken broth
2 T worchestershire sauce
1/2 cup fresh mozzarella, cubed
1/2 cup ricotta salata, crumbled
lemon juice
1 lb pasta, cooked
parmesan cheese

Cut chicken into bite size pieces. Heat olive oil in skillet. Add onions and cook until softened. Season chicken with salt and pepper, garlic, crushed red pepper, basil, and oregano. Add to skillet and cook until slightly browned.

Meanwhile cook pasta until al dente. Drain and set aside.

Steam potatoes until slightly softened (3-5 minutes). Add potatoes and parsley to chicken and stir, allowing potatoes to brown. Add zucchini, peas, milk, chicken broth, worchestershire sauce, mozzarella, and ricotta salata. Stir well until cheese softens and liquid simmers. Cover and simmer about 3 minutes.

Toss pasta with a dash of olive oil (to prevent sticking). Add lemon juice to the chicken mixture immediately before serving and stir. Serve with grated parmesan cheese.

Starred ingredients are from the CSA box!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hahaha i love the recipes!

I also have been looking for healthier ways of cooking food! Great to see something so random!

Kay Smart
www.apexpacific.com